ASUCI ELECTIONS COMMISSION Ruling on
“SAVE THE SHUTTLES: Bus Love Initiative”-
Acting Representative: traci ishigo
The ASUCI Election Commission, empowered by the ASUCI Constitution and ASUCI Election Code, hereby strongly censures traci ishigo, ASUCI President and representative of “SAVE THE SHUTTLES: Bus Love Initiative” Referendum Campaign.
On March 6th, Ms. ishigo used ASUCI e-mail list-serve to publicize the “BUS LOVE INITIATIVE” Campaign Kick-off meeting,” in addition to other ASUCI Resources including, but not limited to, social media accounts and Student Event Center Booking. These action are in violation of ASUCI Elections Code (SECTION XX. CAMPAIGNING AND PUBLICITY, Section G):
“The use of ASUCI and/or University equipment purchased or funded by student funds allocated to ASUCI eg.(telephones, computers, printers, paper, copies, fax, scanners, cameras, projectors, tables, chairs, canopies) or any other property not available to the entire student population for campaigning is prohibited.”
Given that ASUCI Legislative Council had not officially adopted or support the measure as mandated by the ASUCI Constitution and by-Laws, Ms. ishigo did not have proper access to these resources in a manner “available to the entire student population for campaigning. “
Furthermore, the referendum in question “SAVE THE SHUTTLES: Bus Love Initiative” (hereafter referred to as ‘Shuttle Initiative’) had not filed ‘candidacy’ with ASUCI Election Commission, in Violation of ASUCI ELECTION CODE (SECTION XXI. VIOLATIONS OF ELECTIONS REGULATIONS AND PENALTIES, Section C, Subsection 6):
“Campaigning or public announcement of candidacy prior to filing a declaration of candidacy.”
The ASUCI Elections Commission finds these actions in gross violation of the Elections Code and concludes the following:
- Upon contacting Ms. ishigo on March 13, Ms. ishigo identified as the representative of the ‘Shuttle Initiative’ and took responsibility for the action taken on behalf of the referendum, conceding that she did not know that an adopting of the Referendum was required by Legislative Council before the start of campaigning.
- As of 3/13 at 5pm, ASUCI Legislative Council had not adopted the ‘Shuttle Initiative’ in a formal capacity, in violation of SECTION XXI. VIOLATIONS OF ELECTIONS REGULATIONS AND PENALTIES, Section C, Subsection 6.
- Ms. ishigo, on behalf of the ‘Shuttle Initiative,’ has misappropriated ASUCI resources. In violation of “SECTION XX. CAMPAIGNING AND PUBLICITY, Section G”
- Although the ‘Shuttle Initiative’ nor Ms. ishigo had filed as a candidate, both parties presented clear intend to campaign on behalf of a Referendum put before students, placing authority under the ASUCI Elections Commission.
- Under power granted by ASUCI Elections Code Under “SECTION XXI. VIOLATIONS OF ELECTIONS REGULATIONS AND PENALTIES, Section G: The Five Levels of Punitive Measures”, the Elections Commission levies Level 3 Moratorium of Boothing and the Distribution of Campaign Material. ONCE OR IF APPROVED BY ASUCI LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL, the referendum will be prohibited from distributing Campaign Material for three (3) days from date of approval.
- Until official endorsement by ASUCI Council, it is ordered that ALL CAMPAIGNING, ORGANIZATION, PROMOTION, DECLARATION on behalf of this or any referendum that has not filed ‘candidacy’ cease immediately, as no campaigning is permitted prior to this.
ASUCI Elections Commission Action: 3/13/13, 5pm
2012-2013 ASUCI Election Commission