The Sustainability Project Commission targets intersectional advocacy, environmental justice, waste management and reduction, recycling, energy efficiency, and self-sufficiency in the UCI student and staff community. Through close collaboration with organizations such as the Sustainability Resource Center (SRC) and the CA Public Interest Research Group (CALPIRG), we support green initiatives on campus to work towards UCI’s sustainability goals, and on a state-wide scale – the University of California’s Carbon Neutrality Initiative as presented from the UCOP.
Previously, we have hosted and been a part of successful events such as Sustainival, Zot n Clothes, Earth Week, Sustainability Action Week, and many more. Along with the Garden Commission and the Sustainability Resource Center (SRC), we help maintain the Ants in Your Plants Garden in Arroyo Vista which donates campus-grown produce to UCI’s FRESH Basic Needs Hub.
– Increase student awareness and student involvement in sustainability initiatives and projects on campus
– Support University of California’s Carbon Neutrality Initiative and UCI’s Zero Waste goals through community engagement, policy work, and immediate action
– Collaborate with registered student organizations (RSOs) to plan and coordinate school-wide events targeting environmentalism and sustainable living
– Provide quantitative data to the administration on our campus-wide impacts, e.g. food waste composted, produce grown, student involvement, clothes donated, etc.
– Support Garden Commission’s initiatives to encourage students to destress at the Ants in Your Plants Garden while making a sustainable impact